- Appreciate the art direction, which is incredible, if sometimes derivative. Take the Liutenant as example: he kinda looks like an Eva, but Evas are fricking cool!
- The Grim Reaper speaking like Patrick Stewart.
- The look of the castle city… My. It really makes you wish for a bat form to freely fly from spire to spire!
- Do yourself a favor and disable the QTEs. Seriously, you will sigh in relief every time the game skips that goddamned quicktime bullshit for you.
- Enable enemy damage to see those small numbers depicting damage inflicted upon enemies. Both useful and remindful of SotN.
- Also, disable the Hints. The game is pretty self-explanatory without them, and handholding is irksome on the LoS series in particular.
- The game throws at you some ridiculously over-the-top stuff from time to time, basically God of War III with vampires. However, you can’t help but smirk at all this unadulterated wickedness. Blasphemous dialogue? Check. Innuendo? Check. Buckets of blood and gore? Holy shit, triple check!
- The Grim Reaper enjoying himself a smoke, who happens to be Patrick Stewart.
- At that stuff about the Castle being like an overtly attached girlfriend is incredible. Fair enough, it’s presented in a very confusing way.
- Modern world indoors feel more like something out of Doom 3 than Castlevania.
- The stealth sections are amusing initially, but once the joke is over, they can interrupt the pace quite annoyingly.
- The Agreus part is super easy, if you hit the first two bells with your daggers while leaving Agreus behind, then using a second turn after opening the door if Agreus follows you until the switch.
- DLC is telegraphed at the very end, so expect a continuation of the main story.
- Sir Fucking Patrick Stewart.
More notes later… Maybe!
Indeed, two different Lords in this Castle! I was the one who published all that MoF ranting some time ago.
Think of our official score as “one of two thumbs up”, if that makes things any easier!
theCat edits: Two of three. I am not hating it either XD
And I must say I liked the fuck out of it! What a wicked piece of software. This one is certainly no SotN, but production values are all over the top nonetheless! The game has this diabolic vibe, but at the same time it feels very Batman-esque… DAMN!
- Very polished controls, interface and camera. No bugs at all (PC).
- The overworld in exteriors is so gorgeous!
- The bosses are wicked awesome!
- Stealth areas are short and easy, and justified story-wise.
- Normal enemies are scarce, and they´re not very Castlevania-like.
- Story is a fairly confusing affair, but Dracula and Alucard come across as two certified badasses.
The most interesting theme explored, at least for me, is that Castlevania itself is alive and speaks with Dracula from time to time. Such a cool concept!
Just play it and enjoy it for what it is =)